I like to savor every last moment of my “freedom.”
School breaks seem to come and go so quickly,
that I always get a little sad when they are about to end.
Baking while listening to some of my favorite Pandora stations
was the perfect itinerary for this lovely Saturday to cure my Back to School blues.
Cranberry Almond Biscotti, with a hint of orange zest
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup craisins
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange zest
Here goes nothin’:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
Add craisins and almonds and mix.
3. In larger bowl, beat sugar and butter for about 1-2 minutes.
Add vanilla, then eggs, one at a time.
Lastly, add the orange zest.
4. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until a smooth dough forms.
5. Remove dough and form 2 long flat logs about 1 1/2 inches wide
and about 11 inches long. Add flour if the dough becomes too sticky to work with.
6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Cool until able to handle.
7. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut 1/2 inch slices at an angle.
Place each slice face up on the baking sheet.
8. Bake for another 4 minutes, then flip each cookie to the other side.
Bake for another 4 minutes. Let cool.
I’ve been with my mom, and these just weren’t the same.
However, they are just as addicting!!!
I recommend bringing some to friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, whoever!
I will admit I’ve already had one too many today myself.
One more day of “freedom.”
Sigh, I promise I do love my job.
But these breaks from school really are pretty amazing.
I plan to enjoy every last second.
Who knows what trouble I’ll get myself into tomorrow.